Do you have a special someone in your life, and you're looking for the perfect nickname to show your affection? Or maybe you're just curious about what nicknames are popular in Sweden.
Either way, you've come to the right place! In this guide, we will explore some of the most common nicknames used in Sweden for guys and girls.
We will provide translations and explanations for each one so that you can choose the perfect one for your loved ones. Let's get started!
The Best Nicknames For Guys And Guys
Nicknames are a great way to show affection for a loved one, whether that be a partner, family member or friend. Here is a list of Swedish nicknames you can use:
- Vännen - (the) friend, bud or pal. Can be used for both females and males but is not very affectionate in nature - but more in a friendly way.
- Kompis - (a) friend, mate or buddy.
- Flickvän - (the) girlfriend..
- Pojkvän - (the) boyfriend.
- Älskling - Beloved or Darling
- Älskade - Beloved, similar to älskling
- Hjärtat - (the) heart. You can also use “mitt hjärta” or “hjärtat mitt” which both mean “my heart”.
- Min Kärlek - (my) love, dear. Can be used for both men and women and is a very affectionate way to show someone you care about them deeply.
- Sötnos - (a) sweetie, cutie or candy. You can also use the diminutive form “söt” meaning sweet/cute.
- Snygging - Hottie, good looking man or woman.
- Raring - Sweetheart, cutie or lovely.
- Gullet - Lovely, cute.
- Käresta - Beloved, partner, other half or significant other.
Swedish Nicknames To Avoid
In Sweden, nicknames are sometimes used as a sign of endearment and are often derived from the person's name.
For example, nicknames such as “lilla” (little) are often used in a derogatory way and show generally be avoided. Here are some other Swedish nicknames to avoid:
- Tjockis - (a) Fat person, not in a nice way.
- Gubben/Gumman - Words for old man/old woman but used as an endearment. Stay on the safe side and avoid this altogether.
We hope you enjoyed this quick guide to nicknames in Sweden! As you can see, there are many options to choose from whether you are looking for something affectionate, friendly, or even a little bit naughty.
The most important thing is to find a nickname that you and your partner feel comfortable with. Have fun, and be creative! nicknames are a great way to show your loved ones how much you care.
Do you have any nicknames that you love to use? We would love to hear them in the comments below!